27.1.11

“ Your Secret Is Safe With Me “

Essay


“ Your Secret Is Safe With Me “

I had a lady friend who once told me, “ You will never know my secrets. I have a way of telling it to strangers. They will know yet they will never know me. So my secrets will be safe with them.”

I just smiled  because that means, for the long years we have been friend, she never knew me. Like other people who used to say they knew me. I am happy say: “No you don’t.”

Yes people say they know me. But they really don't know me.

My real friends really knew me. For they tell me their secrets and their secrets stay with me.

They trust me, and why should I betray that trust?

It reminds me of Harry Potter series. If there were real magic and we can preserve our memories, then how fine and good it would be. We can just revisit our memories and tell them, over and over again.

We just look at the bowl of memories, get it and then, we can see what happened in the past. But the problem, it is only in the J.K. Rowling's book.

Maybe that is the reason why people write journals , diaries or books. Good or bad .

They have to preserve their memories and their sanity.

I had this habit of writing in a diary since I was in high school. But when I became an activists, I stopped it. I don’t want to write because it might incriminate others.

I might incriminate myself. I don’t want my writings to be used against me or the people and with and the movement. Besides if it fall into the enemies hand, I am a goner!

So I enjoyed the oral traditions of the peasants and the minorities. Some of their stories have been a thousand times told but even so I really enjoyed it. It maybe because there are different people who tell the stories. And each person has a way of telling it.

Some stories are tall stories. You might not believe it Yet it happened.

I really love,  love stories and war stories and even horror stories. And believe it or not even bible stories because they have stories and lessons to tell.

Coming back to secrets. Different people have secrets. Some secrets they take to the grave and yet they leave it to somebody for safekeeping.

It is like a heirloom, a treasure that you cannot take with you to death.

A friend said to me: “ the reason they invented the priest is for somebody to hear and keep other secrets. In a capitalist system, they invented the therapist or the psychiatrist so you can tell and pay somebody that keep your secrets.”

That might be true, But the hardest thing to be a keeper of secret. Because you have take the secret with you to the grave.

And that is a mark of a true friend.

******

No comments:

Post a Comment