24.2.12

My Last Valentine


Discordant Notes

My Last Valentine

Arturo P. Garcia

As far as I remember,the last time I celebrated Valentine’s Day was during my high school days. And that was decades ago.

I gave my high school girl friend a red rose I plucked from my Lola’s garden and a big lollipop candy I bought from Baguio City last December. And as always, a sweet smile comes to me when I remember those happy high school days.

The only sad fact is that even she was my girl friend, I loved another and the problem is that she does not love me. Ouch!

From that time on, I never had any Valentine’s Day celebration. Until the youth group marked this day as “Love for the People” Day. From then on, it was an obligation to show myself to this event and watch from a distant, how people marked this day.

A famed guerilla commander said and explained it. And i beleived in it. “At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality... We must strive every day so that this love of living humanity will be transformed into actual deeds, into acts that serve as examples, as a moving force.”

For me, I have loved several women for sometimes. One at a time.

Remember unsolicited love, forbidden love, love that never meant to be, name it, I experienced it. And as the other people says; “Its all fair in love and war.” But I don’t believe it.

Just as capitalism is not fair, and will never be fair, I believe that all will only fair in a just and equitable society and then people can love without the property factor or selfishness or individualism that has been the rule in this cruel and real world.

Well, all I can say is that for true lovers, Happy Valentines, comrades and friends!

And for those who have not found love yet and loveless , may you find true love.


****************

No comments:

Post a Comment